Connecting the African Informal Economy
Using digital technology to build opportunities
We strongly believe in the potential of innovative technology to promote development, enhance resilience and aid micro-entrepreneurs worldwide in achieving their goals and livelihoods.
Our mobile-based digital solutions bring trusted data and relationships to rural communities in savings groups and cooperatives, facilitating their access to financial services, agricultural inputs, and market buyers.
Our work has already helped thousands of smallholders in five countries improve their farming and saving practices.
Millions of communities across Africa are trying to build a better future but are faced with a lack of resources, growing inequality (including gender-based inequalities), climate change risks and weak linkages among actors within agricultural value chains. Only 1% of bank lending on the continent is allocated to the agricultural sector yet more than 60% of the population of sub-Saharan Africa is smallholder farmers.
As small-scale farms in developing countries play a crucial role in feeding local populations and meeting international demand for agricultural commodities, access to the right resources and linkages unlocks tremendous opportunities for these communities. hiveonline is the connective tissue that links key actors (lenders, off-takers, NGOS and rural communities) in the economy and provides them with opportunities to forge equitable trading relationships.
Select a location to learn more about our past and current projects.
Donors or Grantmakers
NGOs or Commercial Partners
Accelerators or Research Partners
- Hiveonline ApS announces strategic partnerships across the public and private Agricultural Finance ecosystem to bring growth opportunities to smallholder farming communitieshiveonline is pleased to announce significant partnership milestones in its mission to drive financial inclusion and foster the growth of the digital economy in Mozambique and Kenya. Agreements with trading partners, financial… Read More »Hiveonline ApS announces strategic partnerships across the public and private Agricultural Finance ecosystem to bring growth opportunities to smallholder farming communities
- Hiveonline Included in 4th Edition of the Regulatory Sandbox run by the Central Bank of MozambiqueHiveonline is delighted to announce its participation in the 4th edition of the Regulatory Sandbox run by the Central Bank of Mozambique. The announcement was made on Friday, 27th January 2023, by… Read More »Hiveonline Included in 4th Edition of the Regulatory Sandbox run by the Central Bank of Mozambique
- A Day in the Life of a Front-End Developer at HiveonlineBeing a front-end developer at hiveonline comes with immense responsibility and flexibility. This ideally means choosing a working location sometimes, thinking about design decisions, more coding, more testing, and more documentation to… Read More »A Day in the Life of a Front-End Developer at Hiveonline
- hiveonline expands AWAK outreach through Rabo Foundation and Swiss Capacity Building Fund (SCBF)Our partnership with Association of Women in Agriculture in Kenya (AWAK) has received funding from the Rabo Foundation and the Swiss Capacity Building Facility (SCBF) to support more smallholders grow their businesses… Read More »hiveonline expands AWAK outreach through Rabo Foundation and Swiss Capacity Building Fund (SCBF)
- The need for Sustainable Finance in Africa: A blockchain solution.Africa is a continent with a lot of potential! There are many across the globe who see this potential and are working to unlock it such as NGOs, banks, or CEOs, all of these groups realise that sustainable finance is key to unlocking Africa’s potential. In this blog post, we discuss how blockchain technology can help achieve sustainable finance in Africa. We provide an overview of blockchain technology and explain how it can be used to create transparent systems that promote sustainability. Finally, we give some examples of how this is already being put into practice in Africa. We are confident that this blog post will provide you with a better understanding of the role of blockchain technology in promoting sustainable finance in Africa and inspires you to get involved!